Saturday, October 31, 2009

Bobo the Clown


I am not an interior decorator, but even I know that this picture is probably not the envy of all the neighbors. So why do I have Bobo the Clown up in my beautiful home? Pure sentimentality.

Many of you know that I grew up on a farm, by my Grandpa and Grandma Z. Grandma was a spunky old woman. I remember her riding motorcycles with my cousins, coming downstairs with her sister to play tea party with us, and trying out roller blades. Even when she got Alzheimer's, I loved it when she would forget she gave us candy for mowing the lawn, and would come out several times, then there was the dead cat she displayed on her fence, stories she would retell, and her just watching me on the trampoline. She made me feel like I was putting on an acrobatic show.

Needless to say, I loved my Grandma Z, and when she passed away a few years ago, one of the things I inherited was this painting. Her artwork was all over her home. This particular picture was on your way up the stairs...and to many of my cousins, it was a scary picture. I also have to admit that it was not my favorite picture, but Grandma painted it...and so it is displayed in my home. Bobo the Clown reminds me of my Grandma Z. I miss you Grandma!

4 comments:

Ross, Amanda, and Sons said...

I think the memories we associate with things determine their value! What a wonderful grandmother!

CZ said...

It's so funny that you posted that. This weekend I read a book, "Still Alice", about a woman with Alzheimer's and I really missed Grandma Z. Then I was sitting in church staring at the rock wall and thinking about sitting by she and Grandpa at church...her leading the music and those last few years when she wasn't herself.

Anyway, I missed her a lot this weekend. I love that you hung the picture of the clown...

Can't wait to see you!!!!
Carla

Erin Davis said...

What a great memory! Cute costumes too!

Dave and Mel said...

I am totally going to one up you on that blog...but it will be hard. You captured humor and sentiment...truly amazing. I can't wait till Friday...I can't decide which booties to where....