Thursday, October 2, 2008

Trips to the Dentist

Rachel and Katie went to the dentist yesterday. Now, we have always had a rough time at the dentist. Even with the show on the ceiling, the most awesome fish tank to look at, and prizes at the end. Not to mention a new toothbrush, what a life these kids have. But we've had to man handle Rachel, force her mouth open, and dread another appointment in six months.

Okay, so yesterday, David and I prepped them. Prayed with them....a lot....that they could be brave and know that the dentist is helping them. I knew they needed x-rays this time, and that thing they put in their mouth is the worst part. Anyway...I was also worried because Rachel has been complaining about her teeth hurting, which would mean more dentist appointment and more time being uncomfortable.

Well, we got there, and they were perfect. Rachel got her x-rays, then Katie. They turned on "Cars" on the ceiling and were perfect except for some shaking while they cleaned and brushed their teeth. Then I ask about the pain in Rachel's mouth, and the dentist grinned and showed me two loose teeth in the front of Rachel's mouth. She also has her six-year old molars coming in. How am I supposed to know that six year olds get molars? Or thats when they lose their teeth? I thought it was at eight or something....how am I supposed to know?

Anyway, I was so excited that they did so well, I ask them how they wanted to celebrate. They ask for a party to watch "Peter Pan" and David went and bought a lot of junk food. They didn't have any cavities, so junk food sounded perfect!

7 comments:

Jenn said...

Ahhh...the dentist! We've been lucky thus far, because Ryan LOVES to go to the dentist (he got my genes in that department). I have no idea what to expect with Owen and Emmy, but hopefully they'll be easy too. I'm glad that your trip was successful, and it sounds like we should be hearing some tooth fairy stories on the blog in the near future!

Michael and Bonnie said...

I dread taking my kids to the dentist. I am hoping they got their teeth from my side, and not from Michael :) Anyway, good job girls!! You are far more brave than I!

Dave and Mel said...

I totally knew about these kind of things because I have a sister that goes through everything about 2 years before me....it's kind of nice...note to self....Brooke should be having mouth pain in about 2010...check. Love you guys.
P.S. Eagles rest in sugary nests....

Hunter Family said...

Landry loves the Dentist - I on the other hand dread it so I totally sympanthize with them. I still get nervous when I go!

Cynthia said...

I agree w/Mel - It's nice that you are around to warn us of what's coming up. Great story!

Lifes Great Adventures said...

I am so glad the dentist visit went smoothly! The cake you did was cute too, good job!
Destiny

The Holmgrens said...

I feel for ya. Jaiden is a little scared of the dentist too. She feels like she can't breath when they are in her mouth.